Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Kangerlussuaq, Greenland


Before leaving for Kanger, we loaded 53 boxes of icecore samples. Each sample is about one meter long. There are many cores per box. Everyone pitched in to help. I really enjoyed the can-do and helpfulness of everyone at Summit. After loading, I wandered over to a seemingly non-descript site. It is all that remains of the original ice-core drilling site that introduced the world to the relationship between global warming and levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. I am nonchalantly leaning on the drilling pole.

We arrived safely, and with minimum discomfort from Summit early afternoon. The flight was fairly uneventful, but the JATOs did give good acceleration. It was fun!

A group of five of us are planning to visit some of the sights equidistant from Kanger. In one direction is the "port", and the other way is the face of the glacier. I would like to see both. We have 2.5 days, so time is not short. There is not much to report today except a few subtle changes in the local area. The hills have much less snow on them, and they are definitely greener because of some local rain. The river running through town is faster, and higher. By weathering (in this case the grinding of ice on the bedrock), the glacier has created much new sediment. As the glacier melts, erosion caused by the melt water washes the sediment down the valleys scouring the surface of the rocks. This scouring leaves beautifully shaped bedrock exposed. The river water is opaque, and light-chocolate colored because of the suspended materials.

I am tired, and I am happy to be warm and out of the wind. Dinner was minimal for me because I don't eat red meat. Breakfast and lunch will be better. I live in the world of "it will work out". It has allowed me to make it through alot. Be well.

No comments: